Fall is going to be here before you know it! While you may still have some summer events… soon the kids will be back in school, you’ll be raking leaves, and your annual ministry programs will be in full swing.
NOW is the time to get a jump on the fall and head off some mini emergencies.
Soon you’ll have all the usual Sunday morning crises you had last fall:
- New teachers wondering where things are
- Regular teachers asking where stuff is
- Supplies running out
- Equipment malfunctioning
- Backlog of applications and background checks
- New obligations someone assumed you knew about!
- Fill in the blank: _____________________
Take some time this week to make yourself a FALL CHECKLIST. I can’t write your check list because every ministry is different – but I can give you some suggestions based on what I’m thinking about for my own list. Use an afternoon, a lunch hour, or a quiet evening to think ahead. (Don’t just say, ‘That’s a good idea.’ DO IT!)
In the classic Children’s Ministry Handbook, The Art of War, Kidmin Guru Sun Tzu writes, “Every battle is won before it’s ever fought.” Which simply means, preparation is everything. He also writes, “The children’s pastor who wins makes many calculations in his office before the battle is fought. The children’s pastor who loses makes but few calculations beforehand.” (OK, I changed ‘general’ to ‘children’s pastor’ and ‘temple’ to ‘office’ – but you see my point!)
Yes, Sundays can be a battle to get through – but the prepared leader sees victory! So think about and start asking yourself key questions, and then make a check list. Then, execute the check list. (And of course, involve others in this process.)
Things to consider:
- How are your supply levels? (There are a lot of great back to school sales at this time of year – it’s a great time to stock up on the basics!)
- What teaching tools and resources do you have?
- Do you have classroom Bibles? (that aren’t pathetic looking?)
- Does the equipment work? (Test all DVDs, VCRs, overheads, flannel graphs, etc.)
- Is signage up to date? Any bulletin boards that haven’t been updated since 1987?
- Do you have applications/background checks on all your volunteers?
- Do you need to restock prizes or candy? (Consider the Great Adventure Cards.)
- Do you have enough leaders? (Spread the leadership more!)
- What do visiting parents receive?
- How do you follow up with new kids?
- How do you follow up with kids who make a decision for Christ?
- Are your closets defined? Organized? Stocked? (Mouse traps set?)
I could go on and on and on… make yourself a checklist. I’m working on mine, too! If you complete and email me your list at email@example.com, I’ll send you a gift in return. Plus, I’ll compile your list with others and send you the final result!
Let’s help each other make this fall amazing!