(one more post I found in drafts, the issue isn’t “hot” on Kidology now, but this was my response, better posted late than never!) Over on Kidology.org there is a hot discussion that was started by a brother “down under” who asked: Why do American Christians see the need to teach patriotism? Doesn’t God love all nations equally? (see full question and discussion here) I’ve been watching the conversation, discussing it with family and friends, and waiting to post my answer until I could really give it some thought, and decided to answer it here on my blog rather than just in the Kidology forum. I’d love your feedback here or there. My short answer would be, I have never taught “Patriotism” to kids in church, but I certainly have modeled it. What I have taught is gratitude to God for our blessings, many of which are being American, and civil responsibility, both which are not USA dependent. I can go on and on about what a good and amazing country this is, but that is beside the point (and I think the Kidology discussion got off on that rabbit trail, which is easy for Americans to do. We LOVE…
Karl Says Check Out:
SORT MY POSTS:
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- A Lesson without a Story is an Incomplete Lesson.
- Always Bring Your A-GAME!
- Volunteer Scheduling – New from KidCheck
- Unlock Learning with Intentional Questions
- Tell kids you LIKE them… it means more to them than “I love you.”
- The LOVE Patrol
- Teaching Teenagers
- Write It… And Toss It
- Be the Adult Who NOTICES Kids!
- FREE eBOOK from KidCheck!
- 10 Things You Should Never Do
- Karl’s Ancient Guitar Chord Books
- Truth to Youth is Different Today
- May I Come In?
- Just 100 Prophesies of Jesus!
Looking for Kidmin Ideas?
Be sure to visit Kidology.org, the Internet’s leading resource for curriculum, resources, training, tools and more!